Medical Financial Assistance
Financial Help for Those In Need
Improving health care access for people with limited incomes and resources is fundamental to Kaiser Permanente’s mission. Our Medical Financial Assistance program (MFA) provides temporary financial assistance for qualifying patients who need help paying for care or medication they receive in Kaiser Permanente's medical facilities.
Our Medical Financial Assistance Program
- Offers financial counseling to determine if a patient is eligible for public assistance or Kaiser Permanente financial assistance
- Provides free or extremely low-cost care to low-income people for medically necessary services provided at our facilities
- Does not take legal action for nonpayment of medical bills against any person who is unemployed and without other significant income
- Eligibility is based on financial need. Generally, people whose household incomes are at or below 350 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible. Families or individuals with higher incomes may qualify on a case-by-case basis or be eligible for our Discount Payment Program.
- All applicants must be receiving medically necessary care provided in a Kaiser Permanente facility and through our providers.
- Prior to applying for our MFA program, applicants must have accessed all eligible public or private coverage—for example, Medi-Cal or Healthy Families.
- Patients with high medical costs or who have experienced a catastrophic event may be eligible for the MFA program under special circumstances, regardless of household income.
Please note: The MFA program is not a form of health insurance and can’t be used to subsidize insurance premiums.
For more information: