Kaiser Permanente is committed to protecting the privacy of the users of this website. We will use and disclose the information you provide us as stated in our Web Site Privacy Statement.
Web Site Privacy Statement
We do not sell or rent personal information about visitors to this site or customers who use the site. At your discretion, you may contact us at the mailing address or telephone number listed in the "Questions, complaints, and contacts" section at the end of this Privacy Statement.
Revisions to the Privacy Statement
We may revise this Privacy Statement from time to time as we add new features or as laws change that may affect our services. If we make material changes to our Privacy Statement, we will post notice of this on our website. We include a version number on this Privacy Statement consisting of the date (year, month, and day) it was last revised. We encourage you to periodically reread this Privacy Statement, to see if there have been any changes to our policies that may affect you.
Web site visitor data
Kaiser Permanente routinely gathers data on website activity, such as how many people visit the site, the pages they visit, where they come from, how long they stay on the site, etc. The data is collected on an aggregate, anonymous basis, which means that no personally identifiable information is associated with the data. This data helps us improve site content and overall usage. The information is not shared with other organizations for their independent use.
Collecting and using personal information
Except as disclosed in this Privacy Statement, we do not collect any identifiable information about visitors to this site or our customers who use this site. The policies, sources, and uses of information are outlined in Sections 1 through 5 that follow:
- Web logs – We maintain standard web logs that record data about all visitors and customers who use this site and we store this information for a while. These logs may contain the Internet domain from which you access the site (such as aol.com, abc.org, etc.); the IP address which is automatically assigned to your computer when you get on the Internet (a static IP address may be identifiable as being connected to you, while a dynamic address is usually not identifiable); the type of browser and operating system you use; the date and time you visited the site; the pages you viewed on the site; the address of the website you linked from, if any. All web logs are stored securely, and may only be accessed by Kaiser Permanente employees or designees on a need-to-know basis for a specific purpose. Kaiser Permanente uses web log information to help us design our site, to identify popular features, to resolve user, hardware, and software problems, and to make the site more useful to visitors.
- Internet cookies – We may place Internet "cookies" on the computer hard drives of visitors to this Kaiser Permanente website. Information we obtain from cookies helps us to tailor our site to be more helpful and efficient for our visitors. The cookie consists of a unique identifier that does not contain information about you or your health history. We use two types of cookies, "session" cookies and "persistent" cookies. A session cookie is temporary, and expires after you end a session and close your web browser. We use session cookies to help customize your experience on our site and to track your "click path" through our web pages. Persistent cookies remain on your hard drive after you've exited from our site, and we use them for several reasons. For instance, when you give us permission to "remember" a feature about you when asked by the website, such as your Kaiser Permanente region, we place a persistent cookie on your hard drive so that the next time you visit us, we won't have to ask you that information again. You may have software on your computer that will allow you to decline or deactivate Internet cookies, but if you do so, some features of this site may not work properly for you. For instructions on how to remove cookies from your hard drive, go to your browser's website for detailed instructions. In addition, further information regarding cookies may be available on other websites or from your Internet service provider.
- Children – This website is not intended or designed to attract children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly allow anyone under the age of 13 to participate in any activity at this site.
- Disclosures – To the extent that we may have or acquire personal information from or about any visitor to this site, we may disclose personal information to any person performing audit, legal, operational, or other services for us. We will use information which does not identify the individual for these activities whenever feasible. Information disclosed to vendors or contractors for operational purposes may not be re-disclosed to others by such a vendor or contractor. We may disclose personal information when required to do so by a subpoena, court order, or search warrant. We may disclose personal information as we deem it appropriate to protect the safety of an individual or for an investigation related to public safety or to report an activity that appears to be in violation of law. We may disclose personal information to protect the security and reliability of this site and to take precautions against liability.
- Opt out – If a user makes a request to receive information in an ongoing manner through this website by providing their e-mail address (for example, requesting a subscription to one of our online publications), a user may make a request to discontinue future mailings. Similarly, if you receive information about a Kaiser Permanente service through e-mail, you may make a request to discontinue receiving similar messages in the future. All such materials sent to you by e-mail will contain information about how to opt out.
Questions, complaints, and contacts
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, our policies and practices concerning this site, your rights under this statement, and your dealings with the Kaiser Permanente website, you can contact Kaiser Permanente by sending a message to the Kaiser Permanente Web manager, or by U.S. mail at the address below:
Kaiser Permanente, Community Benefit
393 E. Walnut Street, 2nd Floor
Pasadena, CA 91311
Last updated: April 8, 2011